Upsala Minnesota, USA
Upsala Minnesota City Facts
Upsala is located in Morrison County. One of the main routes is Minnesota State Highway 238. All of the land in the city is accounted for by the United States Census Bureau. The elevation is 1,198 feet above sea level.
As of the census of 2010, there were over 500 people, 190 households and 115 families in the city. 131.8 inhabitants per square mile is the population density. The density of the housing units was 65.1 per square mile. The racial makeup of the city was 95.6% White, 0.9% African American, 0.7% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 2% Pacific Islander and 0.7% from two or more races. Latino or Hispanic made up 4% of the population.
31.4% of households had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 38.8% were non families. 18.1% of households had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older, and 33.5% were made up of individuals. The average household size was 2.27 and the family size was 2.86.
The city has a median age of 40.6 years. 24.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.7% were from 25 to 44; and 24.1% were from 45 to 64 years of age or older. The genders of the city were male and female.
Swedish immigrants settled in the city of Upsala. Even though German and Polish neighbors were located in the surrounding areas, it remained mostly Nordic and Protestant throughout the first half of the 20th century.
The first settlers in the area were not from Sweden, but from Danes. The land was cleared a couple miles to the east in 1868. Ib Hanson Misfeldt and Knut H. Gunderson lived in the area. Upsala was settled by John Henry Peterson in 1872. The Northern Pacific railroad company began to sell land in the area in the early 20th century. The flow of homesteaders increased and included many. Ericka ran the general store which was built by her husband.
When the first post office was established in the 19th century, residents agreed to use the name “Upsala” instead of “Swedback’s Settlement.” The first postmaster, John Anderson, is credited with suggesting the name after the large university city of Uppsala, Sweden. The first creamery was built in 1895 and was run by John Swedback. The butter making industry was important to the development of the community and was eventually sold to a cooperative of local farmers. Mr. Swedback’s wife continued to have an influence over business developments after he died.
The Borgstroms came to Upsala in 1893 and gave direction to community growth. John S. Borgstrom opened photography studios in Swanville, Burtrum, Grey Eagle, Holdingford and Elmdale as well as in Upsala. John worked as an undertaker and also sold furniture after closing his hardware store.
J was in 1914. S. Borgstrom and Peter Viehauser joined forces with J. The Farmer’s State Bank of Upsala was established by W. J. S. is a person. He was the first president and later his son. The cashier of the bank was slightly injured when one of the three men who robbed the bank shot him. W. Johnson was there. The bandits were eventually captured. He worked for the bank until 1975, when he retired at the age of 87. He and his wife, Carrie, owned several businesses including a candy store, hat shop, and car dealership. Carrie lived to be 100 and Axel to 106.
August Johnson had the first clear title to the main business and residential area of the town. He sold 60 acres to someone else. The area was platted by S. Borgstrom in 1913. Upsala was incorporated as a city in 1916. From 1917 to 1920, the first mayor was Gustav Nelson. The north end of Upsala has been platted.
The bank, creamery, telephone company, lumber and furniture dealers, dry goods stores, grocery, confectionery and millinery, blacksmithing, feed mill, meat market, garage and implement and harness shop were some of the professional interests listed in Morrison and Todd Counties, Minnesota, in 1915 A movie theater, drug store, billiard hall and a doctor were added in the 1920s.
Upsala didn’t develop a large industry because it was an inland city and never had a railroad or bus line. State Highway 238 was the first major road. Upsala’s schools have always been an important part of the community’s strengths. The first school in the area was built in the 19th century. There were four by 1900. When a new brick building was built in 1920, they were consolidated. The school house was turned into the post office building. In 1923, the first students graduated. They were all named Gladys Lunden. A new gymnasium, cafeteria, industrial education and music areas were added to the school in 1954. A new elementary wing was built in 1969 at a time when country schools were closed. The elementary section was renovated in 2003 and the 1920 high school building was replaced. Administrative offices, a gymnasium, and an auditorium were added.
Early settlers met often in their homes for services and their Christian religion was important to them. J. was born in 1879. The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation (now Gethsemane Lutheran Church) was formed by H. Peterson andrew Johnson and Lewis Johnson. Worshipers met in a 20 by 30 foot hall above the store where they had regular services in 1885. The First Swedish Baptist Church was founded in 1890. The former pastor persuaded several families to move with him to the state of Washington when the congregation grew to about 60 members. The church’s treasury was wound down by 1930.
Other churches came after that. Mt. Olive Missouri Synod Lutheran Church was founded in 1935 Word of Life Free Lutheran Church was founded in 1988 and is the most recent addition to Upsala’s Protestant churches. The old building of St. Mary’s Catholic Church was moved to Upsala after St. Francis built a new church. The most significant event that changed the town was the fact that Swedish was spoken on the streets into a community where religious and ancestral differences are not only respected but appreciated. Upsala has developed into amish of cultural background, blended by school, work, church and community activities.
Upsala area schools
About 400 students are in this central Minnesota school. In 1922, the school brought country schools together. The original 1922 building was torn down in 2004 and the new school building was built to serve the Upsala Community. There is an elementary section and a middle and high school in the same school. The school is home to the Cards. In football, baseball and track and field Upsala combines with Swanville Area Schools and are nicknamed the Upsala Swanville Area (USA)Patriots. The Upsala Cardinal Boys’ Basketball team competed at the state level in 2011. The Upsala girls’ basketball team made it to the state tournament. The team competed at the state level in 2012 and 2013). FFA, Team 4480 UC Robotics, Drama Club, and Knowledge Bowl are some of the clubs offered by the High School.
The Upsala City Council consists of five people. The mayor is elected to a two year term while the councilors are elected to a four year term. The mayor and council members must live in the city. Rollie Johnson is the Mayor. The City Council has Robert Maciej as its president. Upsala’s fire chief is Jay Baggenstoss.